Brunch is better with beverages and these Grapefruit Basil Mimosas are the prefect sipper for Mother’s Day (or any day).
No brunch is complete without a good mimosa and these Grapefruit Basil Mimosas look as stunning as they taste. Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice provides a refreshing change of pace from traditional OJ, while a homemade basil simple syrup adds sweetness and a bright, almost floral herbaceous quality. Just add prosecco and get sipping. If you’re hosting, these are the perfect, ladylike refreshment to serve alongside my no-fuss Brunch Board.
You can whip up a big batch beforehand or, make things easier by setting up a bar and allowing guests to pour their own.
To give my bar area some structure, I love to set everything up on a serving tray and this large Ash Square Serving Board is my absolute favorite. Made in Vermont of American Ash, this platter from J.K. Adams is a workhorse for entertaining. Use it for serving brunch, cocktails or cheeses or give it to Mom for Mother’s Day.
Now let’s get serious about this cocktail, shall we?
The key to making these Grapefruit Basil Mimosas special is the basil simple syrup. It sounds fancy but it’s actually incredibly easy to make. Simply dissolve equal parts sugar and water in a small saucepan, remove from heat and add a large bunch of fresh basil. Let the basil seep for at least an hour before straining then store the syrup in the refrigerator to cool.
Once the syrup is prepared, the mimosas come together in no time. Pour 4 ounces of grapefruit juice into a glass, add two tablespoons of basil simple syrup and stir.
Then finish with prosecco. I’ll leave the amount to your judgement. I’m usually content with just a splash of prosecco but have many friends who prefer things the other way around (no judgement here!).
Finish things with a slice of grapefruit and a sprig of basil and get sipping. This easy cocktail really is the perfect easy-going addition to a brunch spread. Whether you’re celebrating Mother’s Day or any day, enjoy!
Recipe, Words & Photos by Rebecca Andexler, Homemaker's Habitat. Rebecca Andexler is a work-from-home mom, food stylist, culinary consultant and content creator who publishes the popular blog Homemaker's Habitat. (homemakershabitat.com)
Grapefruit Basil Mimosas
Serves: Makes 1 cocktail
- 2 Tablespoons Basil Simple Syrup (see below)
- 4 ounces grapefruit juice
- 2 ounces prosecco (or to your taste)
- Garnish: quarter slice of fresh grapefruit, fresh basil sprig
- Combine simple syrup and grapefruit juice in a glass and stir.
- Top with prosecco and garnish with grapefruit wedge and basil sprig.
Basil Simple Syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh basil (packed)
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until dissolved. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add basil. Allow basil to steep in syrup mixture for 1 hour then strain syrup through a fine mesh sieve to remove basil.
- Place syrup in the refrigerator and allow to cool completely before using.